Healthy Breakfast Recipe: Green Detox Smoothie
The following is a guest post by Zenergy Yoga Instructor Lauri Bunting:
Why go green first thing? Breakfast is commonly touted the most important meal of the day. This statement, while true, is often erroneously interpreted as meaning the largest meal of the day.
The importance of breakfast stems from the fact that we are literally BREAKING our 10-16 hour post-dinner FAST.
During the morning hours, our bodies are busy eliminating toxins and waste. What we consume can either encourage or inhibit this process. It is vital for the first meal to be light, hydrating, and easily assimilated.
Green smoothies offer a gentle way to break the fast, providing hydration and alkalization to support the detox process, and a deluge of easily digestible nutrients from which the body can draw throughout the day. Furthermore, this generous nutritional deposit reduces the likelihood of unhealthy cravings.
WHAT TO INCLUDE:
• high antioxidant immune-boosting berries such as blueberries, cranberries, raspberries & strawberries
• vitamin C-rich citrus or tropical fruits such as orange, grapefruit, mango, papaya, and pineapple
• alkalizing and nutrient-dense greens such as chard, kale, spinach, arugula, dandelion, parsley, and cilantro
• celery for anti-inflammation and hydration
• coconut water for a shot of hydrating electrolytes
• raw nuts and seeds for a blast of protein and health promoting fats. Good options include hemp, chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, and Brazil nuts
• health-promoting superfoods such as maca, tocotrienals, lacuma, acai, camu, and super green powders. Learn each superfoods inherent properties to support your individual needs
• fresh ginger and turmeric root for an added anti-inflammatory effect.
GREEN DETOX SMOOTHIE
Makes 1 large drink
1-2 handfuls of berries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup citrus or tropical fruit
½ celery stalk
1-1 ½ cup coconut water (fresh is best!)
2-4 tablespoons raw seeds or nuts
2 heaping handfuls of greens
½ inch slice of fresh ginger root
¼ inch slice of fresh turmeric root
1 teaspoon of superfood powder (choose up to three per smoothie)
Place the berries, citrus or tropical fruit, celery, coconut water, seeds and nuts and blend until well assimilated. Add the greens and desired add-ins and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
For additional detox tips, see Lighten Up With a Slow Spring Cleanse.
Lauri Bunting is a yoga instructor with an advanced certification in yoga therapy as well as a wellness coach and teacher of plant-based culinary classes. To learn more, visit her website or email her at email@example.com.
Back to Main Page