Want to live a longer healthier life? It may be time to embrace the Mediterranean diet.
What exactly does it mean to eat like a Mediterranean? It’s actually simple. Here’s a quick guide:
A healthy Mediterranean lifestyle also involves eating with family and friends and lots of physical activity, of course.
MEDITERRANEAN DIET 101
This Thursday, February 23, Zenergy invites you to learn more at a Mediterranean Cooking Class With The Haven (Zenergy members $55, non-members $65). Enjoy lively hands-on demos led by Owner Kellee Havens while feasting on seasonal hummus with veggies and pita; tabbouleh salad; fried halloumi and ground chicken sliders. The fun starts at 6pm at The Haven’s new Ketchum location (Warm Springs Road and 7th Street). Call to sign up at 208.725.0595.
Can’t make the class? Get cookin’ at home with this easy protein-packed recipe from The Haven:
THE HAVEN’S FAMOUS HUMMUS
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (reserve cooking liquid)
1 1/2 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/3 cup tahini
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Several grinds of fresh black pepper
1. Place chickpeas, with about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, in a food processor or blender and pulse several times. You want to retain some of the texture.
2. Add parsley, tahini, olive oil, garlic and salt and blend until smooth. Cut lemon in half, squeeze in the juice and stir. Taste to ensure it is tart enough, adding more lemon juice as necessary.
3. Stir in chives, leaving a little for garnish.
4. Add black pepper and stir well.
5. Garnish with additional chives and black pepper and enjoy.